“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”

~Mark Twain

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

5 Things I Have Learned in Kindia



I have been at site for a week now. Sorry for not posting in a while. Some far, this is what I have learned.

The path of most resistance is that safest route.
On unpaved roads, motos take the smoothest route. Therefore, if you do not want to get hit by a moto taxi, you should go out of your way to walk over the steepest, bumpiest, least desirable path.

For babies, all clothes are unisex.
My little brother constantly wears shirts with pink frilly collars that definitely once belonged to some American girl. 

Without rice, it’s not a meal.
For dinner the other night, I made a hearty bean soup. It had beans, carrots, eggplants, onions and a tomato base. I gave some to my family to try. They took a few bites, saved it until the rice was ready, and then poured it over the rice.

If you try to take a short cut, your trip will take longer. Also, you may get videotaped.
Walking home from a different part of town and with a deadline to get home by, I set off on a short cut. It typically takes 30 minutes to get from town to my house. I arrived home and hour later. I’m pretty sure a girl of about 20 followed me for 15 minutes filming me on her cell phone.

Kindia is a multi-lingual town.
Now in addition to Fote (Susu), I get Porto (Peuhl) et la blanc! (French). Also, knowing greetings in one language means that it is assumed you are fluent in it. In Susu, I can say I am going to four places; Home, Work, Town, and Market. Since “Where are you going / Where are you coming from” are two of the most commonly asked questions, I give these responses atleast 20 times a day. Surprisingly, knowing these four locations gets me pretty far and I almost never have to lie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment