“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”

~Mark Twain

Friday, April 27, 2012

A Quick Cultural Exchange


My host brother & sister
Today, I painted my host sister’s fingernails bright Barbie doll pink, while explaining to her what a firefighter is. They don’t have them here. If a house catches fire, it is a community bucket brigade from all the surrounding wells. When she saw a picture of a police officer- she was flipping through one of my magazines while I was painting her nails- she said in a mixture of French and Susu, “Oh police, they stop your car and demand money.” Here, they really don’t have the local heroes rep that they get in the states. She has come a long way from a few months ago, asking me if a picture of balloons was of papayas, but she still won’t believe that everyone in my magazines is not a family member or friend. Why else would I have their pictures? 

No comments:

Post a Comment