“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”

~Mark Twain

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

My mind is in America today


I got an email this morning from a fellow volunteer about some work we were doing. She studied at Northeastern and at the end of the email she added, “…did you hear about Boston? Wow, unreal, need to know more.”  What about Boston? I ‘quickly’ googled Boston not knowing what other terms to include in the search. While I was waiting, my Facebook page had finally loaded and saw a status from a friend living in Boston telling everyone she was alright and thanking them for checking in. My panic started rising. I spent one of the best summers in my life as an intern in Boston, I plan to settle there after Peace Corps and most importantly some of the most important people in my life live there. And then my search results loaded and I had information, but it still did not make sense. Why would anyone target a marathon with international participants for an act of terrorism? The Boston Marathon is one of our country’s greatest events bringing skilled and amateur athletes alike from all over the globe to show the world that they have the discipline and the heart to perform an amazing feat of endurance. Why would anyone want to change the scene of triumph at the finish line to one of devastation?

I don’t know who committed this terrible act and I don’t know why, but I do know that now more than ever the Peace Corps has an important place in this world. When people think about the Peace Corps, they think about trees planted or wells dug. For me, I have been talking a lot about the opening of our e-library and the training of entrepreneurs. But more than technical exchange and development, the Peace Corps is an organization of global friendship. About six months ago there were anti-American demonstrations across the Muslim world. Some Guineans called for a demonstration in Conakry, but nobody came. Guineans love Americans and it is mostly because of the Fote who buys tomatoes from them every week in the market or the Porto who taught their children math or the Toubaboo who comes over on rainy nights to eat mangos on the porch and listen to the radio. There is a daily exchange, human to human, of warmth and friendship and caring that makes hatred for the idea of “the American” impossible.

Maybe it is a foreign government or an international terrorist organization, or an angry American who is responsible. And I know that not everyone can be reached. No Guinness World Record breaking largest global hug is going to solve anything, but maybe if the Peace Corps mission of cultural exchange, understanding, and simple friendship can be adopted by people in their daily lives events such as this one, or the Dark Night massacre, The Newton School Shooting, or deadly attacks on US embassies will not occur in the future. 

My thoughts and the prayers of many Guineans who I have talked to this morning are with everyone in Boston and everyone affected by this tragedy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment