“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”

~Mark Twain

Saturday, June 9, 2012

It's not all fishy rice

Last Friday, I decided to treat myself and make hummus. I had bought a bag of dried chickpeas at the fancy supermarket in Conakry (for way too much money, but I hope I can stock up cheaply in Morocco) the last time I was there. Thursday night I started soaking them in preparation. Friday afternoon, I splurged and went down to our gas station to buy olive oil. You know your life has taken a turn when you buy all your luxury items at the gas station. I then went to the market to buy cucumbers, bread, onion, garlic, lime, hot peppers, and tomato. When I got home, I lit up my coals and started boiling the beans. With 15 minutes left, I added onions and garlic.




While that was all boiling, I used my newly purchased mortal and pestal to pound the hot peppers with some raw onion. Mabinty and Mohmed wanted to help


 I then added the boiled chickpeas, onion and garlic and mashed it all up with olive oil. I got a blister, but it was so worth it.
 I prepped the veggies that I would dip in the hummus.

I squeezed on lime, and sprinkled salt and pepper and Voila! only 26 hours after starting, I had a fresh plate of hummus.

1 comment: