“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”

~Mark Twain

Thursday, June 7, 2012

Avec La Joie...


Walking up a staircase in the 1960’s era Palais de Peuple, past a restroom smelling strongly of urine, I was jittery with excitement. I was about to watch a rehearsal for the Ballet Africaine de Guinee and even if they fell short of my expectations, I knew I was going to be wowed. I stepped onto the wings of the stage. There was a beautiful drop painted with images of the Guinean countryside. The stage lights were on gelled with warm oranges and yellows. I was hit all of the sudden with a sense of homecoming. For people reading this blog who don’t know me, I spent practically my whole college career in theaters and don't think I’ve gone 6 months without going into one- for a rehearsal or to see a play – since my mom started subscribing to Valley Forge Music Fair’s Summer Children’s Theater series at age 4. We (I was with 2 other volunteers and our country director’s husband) were seated on a set of couches at the edge of the stage and watched the director meticulously work with the actors as they marked through the piece. The intricate patterns of placement changes only heightened our excitement to see them dance it out for real. After about 30 minutes, they apologized for making us watch that and then started a run of part of their piece. I alternately cried, laughed, and sat with my mouth hanging wide open. It captured the spirit of Guinea- the frenetic market to the calm of a rice field at dawn. The dancers were physical and joyful. They were of all ages, shapes, and sizes. There were traditional musicians who would take center stage at parts of the ballet and with just themselves and their instrument would command the space like nobody I have ever seen. It was pure joy. These artists cannot regularly perform in Guinea. There is no market for it. They only get paid when there is some money coming in from people like me paying to see a rehearsal. They are artists because for them performing is living. They used to tour the US, but the last time a few of the dancers violated the terms of their visas and overstayed their welcome, so to speak, in the US. Because of this, I am one of the lucky few who have gotten to see them perform. I’ll post pictures as soon as I can. This was a happy reminder that anyone who says that the performing arts are not powerful could not be more wrong.

So in the morning I was amazed by the beautiful spirit of Guineans; by the afternoon my joy was tempered. As I prepared to travel back to Kindia, we got put on travel restriction. In Mamou (where we all just were for IST) a gendarme (soldier) asked a taxi driver for a 2000 GF bribe (<30 cents). It is terribly commonplace, but for whatever reason the taxi driver decided that he had had enough and argued with the gendarme. The gendarme took out a gun and shot him in the head at point blank range. I was at a wedding a few months ago where the groom found out that his grandfather had died the morning of the wedding. He said “Avec la joie, il y a toujours la tristesse.” With joy, there is always sadness. At the time, I was thinking, well that’s a truly morbid outlook on life. After the day I had, it’s hard not to start thinking that way in this country. I’ll keep you posted, but right now I have the feeling that joy is still winning.

If you are interested in reading more about the crime: http://www.bbc.co.uk/afrique/region/2012/06/120605_guinee_shooting.shtml

No comments:

Post a Comment