“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”

~Mark Twain

Thursday, May 31, 2012

Just Shake it Off


I had a very Guinea day yesterday. I just got back to site from IST and so walking anywhere took forever. I had to stop and say hello at each house, inquire after people’s families and explain that no I had not gone to America and that I promise to tell them before I leave for good but that will not be for a long time. The thing is, I enjoyed joking around and chatting with my neighbors. I missed joking in Susu. I even missed the woman who every morning asks me if I brought her bread, while she is sitting on her step gnawing away at a loaf. I got into work and nobody was there, so I did some work on my own in the morning and then went out to run errands. I went to the tailor to get some fabric altered. I chatted with the man as I tried to describe what I wanted him to make using an old J.Crew catalogue. When I asked him how much it would be, he said free. Last time I was there his wife went off at me saying she did not want a co-epouse (sister wife in American). I ensured her there was nothing to worry about, but now I am not so sure that he is not trying to marry me. I then went out to a new part of the market. I found an area that sold used glass jars with lids. I was so pumped. These are a rarity in Guinea, but crucial for volunteers who want to make jam for food security projects. I could not wait to call my agfo friends. Walking to the carpenter to buy supplies for my paper beads, I found my way blocked by a truck. Men were using shovels to fling trash from a big pile into the truck. I was happy because that trash pile had been growing and rotting since I have been in Kindia, but annoyed because I did not know how to go around it. I could not go around the outside of the trash, there was no way to pass. I could not go between the trash and the truck, so I went around the outside of the truck. Big mistake. An over-eager worker flung trash up, over the truck and onto my head. I rock that was part of the trash whacked me in the tooth. I had trash in my mouth for a split second before it bounced off my tooth and into the road. What did I do? I shook my head like a wet dog, brushed off my shoulders, and went about my day. Of course I bucket bathed as soon as I got home, but in the meantime, it was not worth throwing a fit over. I’ve been in Guinea for over 6 months now, and it is changing me. I think it is changing me in a good way although I should I go about my day with trash in my hair in the US or take people’s babies and as if I can marry them, we might have problems. I am becoming, as we say here, bien integrée.  Guinée ka na n na!

No comments:

Post a Comment